Workers in the Green Job field are in demand, with high earning potential over the next few years. To get develop more workers with these valuable job skills, Suffolk County Community College is offering two free program orientations for job skills training in renewable energy and energy efficiency. The skills training include:
- LEED Green Associate Training, which prepares participants to take the Green Associate exam. It provides background in sustainability and green building principles.
- Solar Technology training will cover basic solar energy principles, photovoltaics and solar panel installation
- Energy Rater / Auditor training will cover the basic principles of building science, efficacy of building and insulating materials and energy efficiency. Hands-on energy efficiency testing experiences will be provided.
- High School academic diploma or GED. Those without this credential will be enrolled in a GED program of study prior to participating in a career program.
- Minimum of 11th grade proficiency in mathematics and reading. Significant work experience. Applicants with a limited employment history will be required to complete an 80-hour National Work Readiness (NWR) course, leading to eligibility to site for the NWR credential.
- Those applicants who do not have a math, science, computer science or engineering background will be required to complete a math refresher course.
- Citizen or Permanent Resident status.
- Minimum age of 18.
To become a POWER applicant:
- Register for this free workshop by calling the Office of Continuing Education at 631-451-4114.
- Submit your resume at the workshop.
- Be prepared to take the POWER placement exam.