The Suffolk County Civil Service Exam is currently open for the Entry Level Librarian, Entry Level Librarian (Children’s Services), and Librarian 1 (Spanish Speaking). Because it may be difficult to navigate the process (especially if applying to a Civil-Service position for the first time), this post will serve as an unofficial tip sheet to applying.
- The Civil Service exam openings can be found on the Suffolk County Website / Department of Civil Service, www.suffolkcountyny.gov/departments/civilservice.aspx
- Go towards the bottom of the page and click on “Current List of Exams” to view the open exams.
- These exams are Open-Competitive, meaning that “Open-competitive examinations can be taken by any individual who meets the minimum education and experience qualifications cited on the job announcement.”
- The “Last Filing Date” means that its the LAST DAY to register for the exam.
- The “Exam Date” means exactly that. That will be the day you have to sit to take the exam. You may notice that the three exams are on the same day; don’t worry. The last time this librarian took the exam, you take one exam (plus an additional number of questions if you opt to be put on the Children’s Services Librarian list) to be placed on each list.
- Also, you will be paying a filing fee for each list you want to be placed on. So for example, if you file for the Entry Level Librarian, Librarian I (Spanish Speaking), and Children’s Services exam, you will be paying $105 total (does not include any possible “convenience fees”).
- You may be eligible for an exam fee waiver if you are a military veteran and resident of Suffolk County, Unemployed and primarily responsible for the support of a household, amongst others. Visit the Civil Service Documents and More Page and look at the Application Waiver Fee Request and Certification form v2.pdf to see if you are eligible.
- In studying for the exam, this librarian recommends that you familiarize yourself with computer literacy, databases, book awards and the reference interview. Because the exam is one of the few in New York state to be designed by the County Department of Civil Service, using test-books will only help to a certain degree.
Have any questions about the exam? Ask in the comments!